Are split ends ruining your style and driving you mad? Fear not, because there are simple steps you can take to stop them from forming… ask me how I know!
Why Are Split Ends Bad?
Split ends happen when strands start to fray or break due to damage like sun exposure, chemical treatments, heat styling, and brushing too hard. This causes the hair shaft to become weaker which makes it look dull and lifeless. So if you want to keep your hair looking its best then these split ends need to be dealt with!
How To Prevent Them... Or Fake It 'Til You Make It
1. Get regular trims every 8-12 weeks depending on how quickly your hair grows. This helps remove any existing damaged ends. It doesn't have to be a big chop. Just ask your stylist to "dust the ends."
2. Use heat protectant products before using any heating tools and keep the temperature at low-to-medium settings when possible. We aren't baking meat. Hair is a thin and delicate fiber.
3. Limit chemical treatments such as bleaching and coloring as these can weaken hair significantly over time if done too often or incorrectly. Listening to your stylist and not making dramatic changes with every visit is good advice. (wink)
4. Avoid excessive brushing/combing as this can cause breakage which leads to split ends. Always comb through wet hair with extra care by starting from the bottom and working your way up gradually in small sections.
5. Try not to pull tight hairstyles such as ponytails or braids too often or wear hats that are too tight around your head – these cause excessive tension on the same delicate strands.
6. Incorporate moisturizing ingredients into your haircare routine like leave-in conditioners and a weekly hair mask– nourishing your locks helps keep strands protected from environmental damage as well as retain moisture for softer, shinier results!
By following these tips you'll be on your way towards having beautiful locks all year round without any dreaded split ends!